We look forward to connecting, learning and praying at the URJ Biennial, held this year in San Diego, December 11 – 15, 2013.
Here is a quick overview of sessions related to the B’nai Mitzvah Revolution that are likely to be of particular interest.
Sessions exclusively for BMR Congregations:
- BMR Intensive: Intensifying the “Revolution” (Wednesday, December 11 – 1:00 – 4:45 PM)
Marriott Marquis Hotel (adjacent to San Diego Convention Center)
- BMR Experiments are on the “leading edge” of congregational change. People are no longer flocking to congregations the way they used to. Even b’nai mitzvah are not the draw they once were. The BMR seeks to deepen the b’nai mitzvah experience, create a more vibrant congregational culture, and, ultimately, revitalize Reform Judaism in America.
- The thorny issues of congregational change. Hear from several BMR congregations about the challenges they’ve encountered, and how they have dealt with these challenges. Work together with others on the challenges you have encountered.
- Explore the BMR’s new digital map of b’nai mitzvah innovations. Find out about the experiments of BMR congregations. What can we learn from other innovations? What appeals to you about these experiments? And how might you adapt these to your own setting?
- Revisit the BMR Theory of Change. How is the Theory of Change working out for you? What needs to be added, adapted, or changed? What are you particularly proud of? Concerned with? What can you learn from others?
- Insights from Change Agents. Hear from experts in organizational change, who have worked with change in many contexts, including their own congregations.
- Book Group (Thursday, December 12, 12:30 – 1:30 PM): Join us in a discussion of Rachael Kessler’s The Soul of Education. Rachael Kessler, founder of Passageworks, was a nationally acclaimed creator and facilitator of retreats, workshops and classes aimed at nurturing the spirituality of teens. Dr. Isa Aron will facilitate the discussion of this short, accessible, and inspiring book, open to all BMR participants who have read the book. Click here to sign up.
- Active Learning Network (Friday, December 13, 8:30 – 10:00 am – Learning Session Block F): Gather with other ALN congregations and staff to network, learn, share and plan together.
Sessions open to all delegates:
- Mincha/Ma’ariv Experience to think about what good t’fillah for early adolescents looks like (Thursday December 12, 3:30 -5:00 pm)
- BMR Learning Session: Lessons learned in the BMR that all congregations can learn from (Thursday, December 12, 8:45 – 10:15 am – Learning Session Block C)
- Re’imagining Hebrew Learning in “Hebrew School” with Nachama Moskowitz, Rabbi Nicki Greninger, and Ellen Fox (Time TBD)
- Drop by or set up a meeting in advance! We’ll be at Table 9 in Consultation Corner from 10:30 am – 12:00 pm on Thursday, December 12. If you’re interested in scheduling an in-person consultation with the B’nai Mitzvah Revolution staff, send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more and register at www.urj.org/biennial13